Janani Shankar was trained in Indian classical vocals and violin from the age of three. She picked up guitar, bass, and keys later on… then began gigging at sixteen. Read along to learn more about this dreamy lo-fi Eastern inspired grunge alternative singer-songwriter.
Genre: Indie Alternative Singer-Songwriter, 3 minute read
1. What got you into the music business?
I come from a musical family and was pushed into it from a very young age.
2. What’s your favorite part about working in music?
I love writing and I love to travel and play music for people, especially for those who love or enjoy it.
3. Who are your favorite bands and influences?
Oasis, PJ Harvey, The Pretty Reckless, The Smashing Pumpkins, Amy Winehouse
4. If you could meet any musician or songwriter, who would it be and why?
Bob Marley or Prince. Or my grandmother Viji Shankar. She passed away before I was born sadly.
5. Do you have any upcoming projects or events we can watch out for? Where can we get more info?
I’m about to release the second single called ‘I Wanna Know’ from an upcoming album. It comes out February 9th. You can watch out for that and more upcoming tracks on my social media accounts.
6. Words you live by…
There is always more to learn.
7. Where can we follow you on social media? YouTube? Where can we listen to your music?
Listen to Janani’s music in the playlist below!
#IndieMusic #SingerSongwriter #IndianMusic #AlternativeMusic